When two casinos in Connecticut opened up for business in the early 90's, to make life easier they both reached an agreement with the state to pay them 25 percent of their monthly revenues from their slot machines. In accordance with this both the Mohegan Sun along with Foxwoods have had to report their total slots earnings each and every month to the state.
How much anyone wins or loses on the slot machines depends in some part as to what actual machines that they play. For example the Mohegan Sun actually took in $53.5 million dollars in slot revenue just for one month in December 2010. This surprisingly was a 6% decline over the previous year according to sources.
In reporting their numbers, the casino actually revealed some rather interesting information that many may be unaware of, therefore they may wish to pay attention to what was disclosed. Overall in the month of December 2010 a grand total of $673,412,991 was processed through the casino's slot machines.
This may most definitely be hard to believe, but this is not a misprint! This staggering figure is referred to by casinos as the handle. From this amount the casino only kept 7.94% of the total. This means that more than 92% went back to all the gamblers in winnings.
Now, here comes the really interesting bit, some valuable information that may get gamblers re-evaluating their playing strategy before they start dropping their dollars into their favorite slot.
The Mohegan Sun also do a breakdown on what machines give the gamblers the very best chances to win. The casino has almost six and a half thousand slots scattered throughout its vast sprawling gaming floors and as most gamblers will attest to it's easy to toss ones cash into these machines in many different denominations. What these December numbers showed was the cheapest slot machines paid out the worst.
On the penny slots, 11% was kept by the casino with players collecting the other 89%. Nickel slots kept 12% returning 88% back to punters. Looking to the other scale of things the $2 slots kept only 2.03% returning 98% to gamblers, and the $10 slots kept a miniscule 1.77% of deposited cash returning 99.23 % to game players! Perhaps time to re-think where the buck should finally stop?